The Society for Museum Archaeology (SMA) has been awarded £49,413 by Arts Council England (ACE) in response to its recent application to the ACE Subject Specialist Networks Funding Programme, 2018-20.
The funding award will be used to deliver the SMART Project (Society for Museum Archaeology Resources and Training Project) that will:
- Enable museum staff and volunteers to develop the skills to work with archaeological collections proactively and confidently across collections care, interpretation and public access.
- Connect museum staff and volunteers with subject specialist expertise in order to facilitate knowledge exchange, and strengthen expertise in museum archaeology.
- Ensure toolkits and guidelines are updated, and readily accessible to museum staff and volunteers through the SMA website, and those of other key stakeholders.
This will be achieved through:
- A review of museum archaeology collections care and management standards to ensure they are updated and easily digested resources for all museum staff and volunteers working with archaeology collections.
- The provision of free training workshops with travel bursaries for attendees, covering the key skills required for archaeological collections care and interpretation, with an emphasis on use of archaeological collections for public and community engagement.
- The development of a peer networking and mentoring programme.
SMART Project Consultancy Briefs CLOSING DATE 31/3/19
The Society for Museum Archaeology wishes to appoint consultants to deliver elements of its three part SMART project funded by the Arts Council England (ACE) Subject Specialist Network Fund.
Click on the links below to download details of each of the work packages and how to submit a tender.